Velvety Meat Sauce
A meaty sauce with a hint of tomato and spices, long slow cooking gives this a rich taste and texture.
Makes a generous 4 cups; enough to sauce 1 pound pasta
- 1 onion (5 ounces), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 ribs celery (6 ounces), trimmed, strings removed with a vegetable peeler and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (15% fat works well)
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 carrot (2 ounces), grated
- Sea salt and pepper
- Fit the chopping blade into the work bowl. Add the onion, garlic, and celery and chop at speed 7 for 5 seconds. Switch over to the mixing blade and scrape down the bowl.
- Add the olive oil. Remove the measuring cap from the lid and cook at 100 C on speed 1 for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Crumble the ground beef into the work bowl and cook at 100 C on speed 1 for 5 minutes with the measuring cap still removed. Tilt the bowl and spoon off as much of the fat as you can.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, basil, grated carrot, and salt and pepper. Replace the measuring cap in the lid and cook at 90 C on speed 1 for 20 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti or rigatoni, passing Parmesan cheese separately.