- ½ onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 400 grams / 14.1 ounces canned chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 fresh chiles, deseeded and roughly cut (optional – omit if you prefer a less spicy falafel)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Insert the chopping blade and add the onion, garlic, chickpeas, parsley, breadcrumbs, flour and cumin into the bowl.
- Process using the ‘Pulse’ function 5 times – about 0.5 seconds per time.
- Add the salt, pepper and optional chiles and blend for 30 seconds on speed 4.
- Form falafel into balls, and place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush both sides of the falafel with oil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes in the oven, turning the falafel balls halfway through baking.
To avoid dry falafel, brush them again with oil when turning them halfway through baking.