Makes about 1 cup
- 2 large shallots (3 ounces), peeled and halved
- ¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 4 egg yolks
- 9 tablespoons butter (4.5 ounces), cold, cut into 1-tablespoon-size pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fit the chopping blade into the work bowl. Add the shallots and tarragon and chop on speed 6 for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the vinegar, wine and lemon juice, if using. Remove the measuring cap from the lid and cook at 100 C on speed 2 for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and yolks. Replace the measuring cap in the lid. Cook at 80 C on speed 3 for 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Without heat, whip the sauce on speed 6 for 30 seconds. Pour into a sauceboat or bowl immediately, so the eggs don’t have a chance to cook further, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.